And here we are at week four of the Spring 2018 One Room Challenge where the most recent development has been tackling the wall treatment in our tiny powder room. My vision was always to incorporate a graphic, high-contrast pattern in this space. Reminiscent of, but not exactly like this:
You may remember that I previously shared this in my mood board as a reference to the look and feel I was aiming for. It is the Queen of Spain wallpaper by Schumacher, and this beauty has been a longtime favorite of mine. I really wanted the boldness and drama of a striking wallpaper, but ultimately, wanted to create the art myself directly on the walls. There is something incredibly visually appealing about the naivete of hand stamping (former art student here, obviously…haha!), and it was a technique that I thought would work perfectly in this 5×5 ft half bathroom. In keeping with the naivete of the approach, I didn’t want to overthink the materials either…and in fact, they presented themselves most serendipitously. Our place is essentially one massive construction site at the moment, and among the miscellaneous array of debris scattered here and there, there were some leftover rigid foam insulation sheets kicking around. Which we were repeatedly trampling over and which would randomly break off into irregular shards. And it all of a sudden just clicked: they would be the perfect elements for creating a free-form, graphic pattern that would read as primitive and abstract all at once. Perfect!
See the pile of them on the left hand side of the photo? They naturally broke off in ragged triangles, squares and rectangles, so to balance out the arsenal of geometrical shapes, I carved out a circular form as well. The texture and materiality of the foam would also mean that I would never get a uniform effect from the stamp, which was also important to me, aesthetically speaking, as I was striving for spontaneity in the overall surface treatment. Sounds intense, but this was SUCH an easy and fun application…I just applied black latex paint (flat in this case) onto my foam stamps and let things roll:
(Please ignore my frightening appearance…it was cold and I was dressed like a DIYing vagabond as a result…hahah!)
And one by one, I would hand stamp the wall. I wanted the process to be extemporaneous and instinctive, so I didn’t measure or plan out any specific configuration for the layout…I just made sure to keep adequate spacing and a pleasing composition in mind and just rolled with it, quite literally:
So that’s just a quick peek, as I can’t give too much away at this point. But you get the idea!
Also, I finally sourced the pair of elusive wall sconces which I will be further embellishing before their final installation. I had to purchase them from two separate shops on Amazon, as each vendor only had one:
And lastly, we permanently installed the cultured marble counter on the vanity. It was previously dry fitted, but we took it off when I was working on the walls. We’ve also marked out the holes to be drilled out for the sink drain and faucet installation:
This weekend we’ll be finalizing the plumbing situation by installing the toilet, sink and faucet. As well as sorting out the lighting fixtures (sconces and overhead). Stay tuned for the penultimate week of the challenge…the final reveal is just around the corner, guys!